[smokeping-users] Smokeping on a single box for large number of hosts

Simon Westlake simon.westlake at bizwi.rr.com
Mon Aug 18 21:01:30 MEST 2003

Hello all,

I've read through the previous emails and found a couple of emails touching on this subject, but nothing that could answer my question once and for all, so I was wondering if anyone could help with this problem.

I'm currently running MRTG to monitor throughput and Smokeping to monitor latency on about 500 devices. MRTG is daemonized and integrated with RRDtool. On the current box (P3-550/256mb PC133, 7200 RPM IDE ATA100) the performance leaves much to be desired - the graphs are often not updated in time.

We're looking to monitor at *least* 900 devices right now, and probably 1800 within a year. I'm eyeing a couple of boxes to run both MRTG and Smokeping on to monitor all these users. Is this even possible, or is it better to spread the data collection between boxes? It would make our life much easier to do it all on one box at this stage.

The machine we're looking at right now is:

2.4ghz P4
1GB 533mhz RAM
15K RPM SCSI drive (possibly two in RAID0)

We'd be running Debian as an OS and MRTG/Smokeping at their default intervals (5 mins.) The box wouldn't be used for anything else other than MRTG/Smokeping at this stage (possibly SLAMon in future.)

Has anyone had experience with something else of this magnitude, and if so, what hardware did you run? Can anyone comment on the performance we might see from this type of box? On paper, it looks like it should work alright, but I don't have the equipment to test Smokeping/MRTG extensively enough beforehand, so if anyone has any information to share, please do.

Thanks for any help you can provide.