[smokeping-users] Re: Smokeping on a single box for large number of hosts

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Mon Aug 18 22:03:53 MEST 2003

Today Simon Westlake wrote:

> Has anyone had experience with something else of this magnitude,
> and if so, what hardware did you run? Can anyone comment on the
> performance we might see from this type of box? On paper, it
> looks like it should work alright, but I don't have the equipment
> to test Smokeping/MRTG extensively enough beforehand, so if
> anyone has any information to share, please do.

Simon,

it is amazing that you have problems with your current box, it
doues not look all that slow ... are you sure your problem is
cpu/disk bound and not latency ? What is the load of the machine ?
Have you tried the forks option ?
tobi

> Thanks for any help you can provide.
>

> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETZ J97, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker   +41(0)1-632-5286