[smokeping-users] Re: Understanding SmokePing Graphs..

Roberts, Larry Larry.Roberts at expanets.com
Wed Aug 20 03:07:15 MEST 2003

Think of it a distribution.
Each time a response comes back at a given level, draw a line. Each time a
response comes back at that same level, you draw another line over the last.
It will get darker and darker, hence the darker colors are near the median,
and fade as they go away.

It allows you to see how much variance that you have in your latency. The
best graph would be no grey whatsoever, with only a colored line meaning
that every ping responded with the same value, however I wouldn't hold your
breath waiting on it to happen.
If you are having a large amount of grey on your graph, it just means that
your latency was very varied. I typically see the large blotches of grey on
circuits that are being heavily utilized ( <PLUG> As monitored by MRTG!
</PLUG> ).

Thanks

Larry