[smokeping-users] Re: Understanding SmokePing Graphs.

Roberts, Larry Larry.Roberts at expanets.com
Wed Aug 20 05:05:58 MEST 2003

Well the good news is that I remember getting that error as well. bad news
is that I don't remember the reason for it or the fix.
I bet someone else knows what it is though.
I believe that your document root should be :

/var/www/html/smokeping

Things to verify while waiting to see if anyone else recalls what causes the
message.

speedycgi is installed correctly
Check in your smokeping.cgi file that it points to the right place.

Verify the "use lib" statements in both the smokeping.cgi and the smokeping
perl script is correct.
The path the config file is reachable and correct.

You say that you added the DNS entry to your server, do you mean the
smokeping server, or DNS server?
I would check that both the smokeping server, as well as the machine your
browsing to it from can ping it by name.

check permissions to your smokeping web directory.( /var/www/html/smokeping
as shown below)
check permissions to your smokeping configuration directory (
/usr/local/smokeping on mine )

I wish I remember what caused my error, and what I did to fix it, but I
honestly dont. Others who are more capable with Perl, or with apache and
modules can probably provide more details.

I would check in the /var/www/html/smokeping/data directory to see if you
have any rrd files in any of the subdirectories. This will at least let you
know if smokeping is polling. If so, then its just a matter of getting the
webpage to behave properly.

Thanks

Larry