[smokeping-users] Re: Monitoring remote links

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Mon Feb 3 17:03:47 MET 2003

I'm not sure if this helps, but are the devices at B & C Cisco?

You could use the CiscoPing monitor to do timings between those sites,
but it would still be generated from the original smokeping box.  The
best solution would be to have a box at each location.

Paul

>>> "Brendon Caligari" <brendon at iwg.info> 02/03/03 10:50AM >>>

My scenario:

I am at location A.   I monitor the links to two different locations, B
& C, a few public sites (for completeness sake).  However, the most
important connectivity is between B & C.

The logical approach would be to install SmokePING at B or C or both,
but that is not amongst my options.

I could somehow fake an fping to ssh an fping to B and get the results
of an fping from B->C.

However, if the link A->B is down, then I am in trouble regardless
because I'll loose the B->C data in the interim.

Is there a way to schedule the B->C fpings independently, timestamp
them, and somehow inject them into smokeping?  But wouldn't that require
somkeping and smokeping.cgi read different configuration files???

Any suggestions?

Brendon