[smokeping-users] Re: Calculating availability percentages

Dan McGinn-Combs Dan.McGinn-Combs at Geac.com
Tue Jul 22 21:02:30 MEST 2003

Justler,
The way that I am currently doing this is to collect information from
the ALERTS. If you dig down into the Smokeping.pm script, you'll see
that at the point where it e-mails an alert, it can be configured to
call a perl script enstead (well, really, anything executable).

So I have a script which writes a line to a file for each offline/online
alert and then I have another script which pulls that information
together into an Excel spreadsheet. It still needs a little work.

The nifty thing is that if you take the UNIX time it went down and
subtract that from the UNIX time it came back up, you have the down
time. Cool.

You could devise the alerts you need for the various international
regions and set your script to execute based on which alert was
triggered.

My next effort is to use the perl bindings to grab the downtime data
from the RRD's themselves using RRD::fetch. But that's going to take a
little more headscratching.

Dan