[smokeping-users] Re: transporting rrd-tool files across architectures?

Michael Grice grice at binc.net
Thu Jun 26 21:30:07 MEST 2003

* Obrien, Haskell W. <obrienh at more.net> [030626 14:20] wrote:
> I should probably send this to the rrd list, but I'm subscribed to this one.
> Can I safely move my rrd files from a solaris - big endian machine to a bsd/intel little endian machine?
> I'm guessing I can, but some verification would be nice.

Yes, but you'll need to export the files to XML on the solaris box, then
import the data back into rrd format on the target machine. (Unless
solaris and whichever bsd you're using can read the same rrd format,
which I doubt. I know linux and solaris can't. :)

For example:

rrdtool dump test.rrd > test.xml

On the bsd box:

rrdtool restore test.xml test.rrd

This was a bit of a pain when I had to do it, but scp and a little
scripting made it less painful.
--Michael