[smokeping-users] Re: smokeping on openbsd ?

Dan McGinn-Combs Dan.McGinn-Combs at Geac.com
Tue Mar 4 15:35:50 MET 2003

Good day!
I'm running SmokePing on OpenBSD 3.1. The reason I chose that OS (well,
3.1 was current at the time) was because most of the core pieces/parts
were already there.

Running 1.19 version and trying to use the DIG probe caused some
interesting changes (under different cover). But by and large it worked
out of the box (no pun intended).

I note that at one time I had lost a network node (I must have left it
in my other pants) and the smokeping daemon hung and stopped
probing/updating. So I added the option to my config file to provide
logging.

syslogfacility = local0

Then I went into the Smokeping.pm code and added specific log messages
to let me know what was going on...

For example when the code calls RRDs::update, call do_syslog("writing
$name.rrd");

Or something like that... I found that because of the missing device,
speedy_backend had hung and I could no longer do a "./smokeping
--restart" Once I rebooted, the problem went away!

Just a few thoughts.

Dan