[smokeping-users] Re: [OT] Using ping with a set ToS value

black at galaxy.silvren.com black at galaxy.silvren.com
Thu Mar 27 15:55:27 MET 2003

Hi. DSCP values are partly comprised of IP precedence values and partly of
the remaining ToS bits. From what I understand, ToS is deprecated and
those bits are now being used for other things, like DSCP.

"The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) has defined the siz most
significant bits of the 1-byte ToS field as the DSCP."

DSCP is backwards compatible with IP precedence.

The IP precedence bits are the 3 MOST SIGNIFICANT bits in the ToS field.
The DSCP bits are the IP precedence bits + the 3 next most significant
bits (total of 6 bits).

So the mapping looks like:

Binary 000000 = IP precedence 0, DSCP 0
Binary 001000 = IP precedence 1, DSCP 8
Binary 010000 = IP precedence 2, DSCP 16

Or you could mix it up and have:

Binary 001010 = IP precedence 1, DSCP 10

Based on that you should be able to figure out the entire mapping. The
last 2 bits in the ToS field are used for Early Congestion Notification
(ECN), so you can effectively set those to 0.

So to ping with a DSCP value of 8, you would set the tos field to be
00100000 or decimal 32.

Hope it helps.

A good reference point is to go to Cisco's web site and search for
"Implementing Quality of Service Policies with DSCP", they have a good
section on the ToS byte and how it all breaks down.