[smokeping-users] Re: Loss values in rrd

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu Nov 13 16:57:39 MET 2003

Nov 7 Edson Manners wrote:

> I realized that I need to properly format this question for the list.
> Sorry about the confusing one that I posted previously.
>
> I have been through the archives & smokeping.pm source and would like
> clarification on one thing.
>
> If the loss value in the rrd database is as Tobi said "the number of
> lost packets in absolute numbers"
> (http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/smokeping-users/msg00489.html)
> Then how come I have floating point numbers instead of integers?
>
> uptime  loss
> nan 	1.9366666667e+00
> nan 	2.9333333333e+00
> nan 	2.0666666667e+00
> nan 	1.0666666667e+00
> nan 	1.9333333333e+00
>
> I have looked at the source and cannot understand why I would end up
> with floats in that column that didn't have all zero's in the decimal
> positions. Further more when I count the number of 'nan's in the ping
> values on the same row they don't always correlate with the rounded or
> truncated integer value in the loss section. What am I doing stupidly??

Note that the RRD is updated in real time, the database stores the
data every 'step' by interpolating the data it gets ... it is
normal to NOT get whole numbers
tobi

> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETZ J97, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker   +41(0)1-632-5286