[smokeping-users] Re: Loss values in rrd

Edson Manners emanners at realprod.acns.fsu.edu
Fri Nov 7 21:16:08 MET 2003

I realized that I need to properly format this question for the list.
Sorry about the confusing one that I posted previously.

I have been through the archives & smokeping.pm source and would like
clarification on one thing.

If the loss value in the rrd database is as Tobi said "the number of
lost packets in absolute numbers"
(http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/smokeping-users/msg00489.html)
Then how come I have floating point numbers instead of integers?

uptime  loss
nan 	1.9366666667e+00
nan 	2.9333333333e+00
nan 	2.0666666667e+00
nan 	1.0666666667e+00
nan 	1.9333333333e+00

I have looked at the source and cannot understand why I would end up
with floats in that column that didn't have all zero's in the decimal
positions. Further more when I count the number of 'nan's in the ping
values on the same row they don't always correlate with the rounded or
truncated integer value in the loss section. What am I doing stupidly??