[smokeping-users] patch candidate for FPing.pm probe

cwitte cwitte at xmlhq.com
Sat Dec 11 17:44:37 MET 2004

Hello,
I am new to smokeping, and am a very happy user.  However, when I first
installed smokeping running the FPing probe, I was confounded by
smokeping reporting "no packet loss" for periods of known packet loss.

Upon further investigation, I found that the fping probe was sending
all of it's pings out at the beginning of the period, and the
connection went unmonitored for the duration of the period.  This was
verified with ethereal and ps.  (ps shows the fping command quits
shortly after being launched).

I modified FPing.pm to calculate the delay between ping packets based
on the configured period length, so that the pings would be sent over
the duration of the period.
(Added the -p parm to fping with a calculated parm).
The modified probe is attached as FPing_delay.pm, and can be run along
side of FPing.pm for verification/comparison, etc.

If this change is acceptable, I think it would be good if it were
included in the distributed FPing.pm probe.

Chris Witte

-- Type: application/octet-stream
-- Size: 4k (4651 bytes)