[smokeping-users] Re: Purging timeframes from RRD's

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Thu Dec 16 02:45:45 MET 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 01:37:46AM +0100, Michael Markstaller wrote:

> I wrote a even more ugly shell-script to remove one day with
> dump/restore
> (below in case anybody likes it) but I'm sure there must be a better way
> ?
>
> Is there any simple way of telling RRDtool to simply NaN a certain
> timeperiod ?

Yes - use the "rrdcut" script written by a kind and generous Cricket
user.  It's similar to your script, but you can specify any time
period (a minute, an hour, a month, etc.) with the flexible
Date::Parse str2time() syntax.  See:

   http://cricket.sourceforge.net/contrib/files/rrdcut

> For sure, the same will be helpful for any RRD, not only smokepings
> ones..

Exactly.  That's why the thoughtful author of rrdcut didn't make it
Cricket-specific - it should work for any RRD application.

	-- Ed