[smokeping-users] Looking for a good way of timing Smokeping

Simon Westlake simon.westlake at bizwi.rr.com
Thu Jan 15 15:18:48 MET 2004

Hi,

A few weeks ago I posted about gaps in Smokeping graphs, and the eventual conclusion was that it was simply taking too long for Smokeping to run.

I tried running it at 10 minutes rather than 5 but, strangely, there were more gaps at 10 minutes than at 5 (this always seems to be the case for me.. I tried it again recently and had the same problem.)

My previous solution was to remove devices from Smokeping that were regularly unresponsive - their removal seemed to resolve the problem.

So, I'm stuck running at 5 minutes, as anything above that seems to produce more gaps. However, I'm adding 20+ devices a week to Smokeping and I'm starting to get gaps again. I'm assuming it's taking too long to run again, but I only have ~15 unresponsive devices at a time (out of 1300) so it doesn't seem to be a problem with excessive timeouts.

I measure the amount of time MRTG takes to run for monitoring purposes by doing:

x=`date +%s`;z=`date`;/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg /usr/local/mrtg.cfg;y=`date +%s`;runtime=`expr $y - $x`;echo "$z runtime was $runtime seconds" >>/home/simon/runtime

I can't, however, think of a good way to do this for Smokeping.

So, two quick questions..

Can anyone think of a way of doing something similar for Smokeping?
Does anyone have an example of a relatively aggressive probe configuration for fping for monitoring large numbers of devices? I did try modifying parameters to pass to fping as specified in the Smokeping documentation, but I think I must be reading it incorrectly, as I couldn't get the syntax right. I'd be happy to increase the wait by a very slightly increment for successive timeouts and to give up at ~800ms or so.

The eventual solution is going to be to split the polling over a large number of servers, but for the time being, I'm stuck running it on a single box. I'm 99% sure it's a case of excessive wait time, as the server is relatively powerful.

Thanks for any help you can provide.