[smokeping-users] $bytes variable not used in telnetIOSPing.pm ...?

Paul Wulff paul.wulff at ap.marconi.com
Thu Jan 22 08:34:07 MET 2004

Hi All,

Not sure if this has been noted before, but I've noticed what seems to be an
error in telnetIOSPing probe (telnetIOSPing.pm) that would cause any packet
size defined in your config to be ignored, and the default CISCO ping size
of 100 bytes being used. I noticed this error as I had defined a larger
packetsize of 1470 bytes yet it made no difference to the response times,
which should not be the case.

I am using SmokePing 1.25.

Please correct me if I am wrong!!

/lib/probes/telnetIOSping.pm:

<snip>

sub pingone ($$){
    my $bytes = $self->{properties}{packetsize} || 56;        <-----
packetsize variable found in /etc/config is defined, if no definition
default to 56 bytes (standard ping)

<snip>

     $telnet->waitfor('/Datagram size \[100\]: $/');
     $telnet->print("");
<----- this should read $bytes instead of a nil value of ""

Examination of the original IOSping.pm you can see the $bytes variable is
used:

/lib/probes/IOSping.pm:

    # Datagram size [100]:
    print { $inh } $bytes,"\n";
<----- this should work correctly with the defined packetsize variable

Thus, I have *corrected* the original telnetIOSProbe.pm file to read ...

     $telnet->waitfor('/Datagram size \[100\]: $/');
     $telnet->print("$bytes");

... which now appears to be giving the results that I expect to see from a
larger packet size.

Is this a known error? Or am I at fault here somehow?!

Cheers,

Paul.

Disclaimer

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments are
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, then please notify us
immediately by reply e-mail. You may not disclose or use the information in
this e-mail or attached documents in any attachments, use the contents for
any purposes, or disclose the contents to any other person: to do so could
be a breach of confidence. The views or opinions expressed in this email are
the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Marconi.
Marconi does not guarantee the integrity of any e-mails or attached files
and we suggest you scan all incoming e-mails for viruses.