[smokeping-users] dig options to prevent bind caching?

Reinhard Scheck Reinhard.Scheck at team-scheck.de
Tue Jun 15 18:06:33 MEST 2004

Hi all,

we are using the dns probe to monitor local dns servers as well as name
resolution of internet url. The internet name resolution is done with
the url www.ibm.de

Today, we had some problems with our name servers. We used dig at the
command line and received some timeouts, that is, no successful
resolution. We tried this several times using different urls. At the
same time, the rrd graphs for www.ibm.de did not show any deviation from
the normal behaviour.

We assume at the moment, that dns caching might have ocurred. In this
case, there wouldn't have been any real name resolution, but only a
cache lookup.
Are we right?
Is there an option to prevent that behaviour only for the dig probe (we
already looked at the dig options, no clue)?

Any other suggestions?

thanx for your help