[smokeping-users] Re: Behaviour during DNS outages

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Wed May 26 19:49:58 MEST 2004

Today Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> * Tobias Oetiker <oetiker+r at ee.ethz.ch>:
>
> > try this patch
>
> If I apply this patch, my DNS probes don't work anymore :)
> But since the logging is gone, I cannot tell why...

before this patch, the basefork probe just split the time in a
'polling' rund up between the fork groups and then let each for run
for the predetermined time ... the prolem was, that it did not take
into account that you could be handling multiple probes. They are
currently treated one after the other ...

so what the patch is suposed to do, is to allow you to set the
timeout for each probe by hand ...

it may be that the default (5 seconds) is too low for the dns probe
... I guess I should put the default timeout into the probe ...

can you try setting it higher ?

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETZ J97, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker   +41(0)44-632-5286