[smokeping-users] Re: smokeping won't run (repost)

Dan McGinn-Combs Dan.McGinn-Combs at Geac.com
Tue Oct 12 21:21:42 MEST 2004

Peter, it's not that no one cares!
>From the look of things, it would appear to me that the background
process (smokeping) which updates the DB files is not running. You can
check this by:

ps -aux | grep smokeping

and seeing if anything shows up. If not, then I would suggest you enable
the syslogfacility and check for anything in the syslog file when you
start smokeping.

I see that your config shows tucked away files everywhere. I run on
linux (Gentoo) but my files locations are as follows:

imgcache = /var/www/localhost/htdocs/.simg
imgurl   = /.simg
datadir  = /var/smokeping
piddir  = /var/smokeping
cgiurl   = http://smokeping.corp.geac.com/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi
smokemail = /usr/local/smokeping/etc/smokemail

I think your CGIURL needs changing at least.

When I used to run on OpenBSD, I had trouble with the chroot features.
So I moved a lot of things into /var/www it seemed to help.

Try running smokeping with the --debug option and see if it offers any
additional information. I suspect it might be running but can't access
the files it needs.

Good luck,
Dan