[smokeping-users] Re: smokeping won't run (repost)

Peter Hessler phessler at theapt.org
Tue Oct 12 21:39:10 MEST 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:21:42 -0400
"Dan McGinn-Combs" <Dan.McGinn-Combs at Geac.com> wrote:

:Peter, it's not that no one cares!
:From the look of things, it would appear to me that the background
:process (smokeping) which updates the DB files is not running. You can
:check this by:
:
:ps -aux | grep smokeping
:

Nothing shows up.  Even tried it with `ps auxww`, and by grepping for perl.

:and seeing if anything shows up. If not, then I would suggest you enable
:the syslogfacility and check for anything in the syslog file when you
:start smokeping.
:

Nothing shows up in syslog.  Sorry, I thought I mentioned that.

:I see that your config shows tucked away files everywhere. I run on
:linux (Gentoo) but my files locations are as follows:
:
:imgcache = /var/www/localhost/htdocs/.simg
:imgurl   = /.simg
:datadir  = /var/smokeping
:piddir  = /var/smokeping
:cgiurl   = http://smokeping.corp.geac.com/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi
:smokemail = /usr/local/smokeping/etc/smokemail
:
:I think your CGIURL needs changing at least.
:
:When I used to run on OpenBSD, I had trouble with the chroot features.
:So I moved a lot of things into /var/www it seemed to help.
:

I have chroot turned off for other reasons.

:Try running smokeping with the --debug option and see if it offers any
:additional information. I suspect it might be running but can't access
:the files it needs.
:

Nope.  --debug shows some output, but I didn't change any of those settings.
 Debug output is at http://theapt.org/smokeping.debug.txt  I have also
recopied the smokeping.cfg file.

:Good luck,
:Dan