[smokeping-users] using fping's future -S option

Marc Haber mh+smokeping-users at zugschlus.de
Thu Apr 28 22:26:32 MEST 2005

Hi,

If things go well, Debian's fping will soon have a -S option to allow
setting of the source IP address of the outgoing ping. The same patch
has been submitted to fping's upstream and will hopefully be included
up there. Now it needs to be possible to set the source IP of an FPing
probe in smokeping to take advantage of that new feature.

I have been thinking about a configuration file syntax allowing stuff
like:

---
*** Probes ***

+ FPing

binary = /usr/bin/fping

++ FPingInternal

++ FPingExternal

sourceip=a.b.c.d
---

If a probe FPing or FPingInternal is used, fping should be called as
usual, and if a probe FPingExternal is used, fping should be called
with "-S a.b.c.d" as additional parameters.

The same could then be done for ipv6.

I do not know enough object oriented perl to do the patch myself. I
never can figure out the notation necessary to put an array into an
object with two index hashes. *yuck*

On a more general basis, a possibility to add arbitrary command line
options to a probe binary from the config file would solve _this_
issue and possibly other issues as well.

Greetings
Marc