[smokeping-users] Re: using fping's future -S option

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Sat Apr 30 13:29:58 MEST 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 10:26:32PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:

> If things go well, Debian's fping will soon have a -S option to allow
> setting of the source IP address of the outgoing ping. The same patch
> has been submitted to fping's upstream and will hopefully be included
> up there. Now it needs to be possible to set the source IP of an FPing
> probe in smokeping to take advantage of that new feature.

Well, the fping upstream seems pretty quiet... I sent a bugfix there
(Debian bug #293856) in early February and haven't got an answer yet.
(Nice feature, BTW.)

> I have been thinking about a configuration file syntax allowing stuff
> like:
>
> ---
> *** Probes ***
>
> + FPing
>
> binary = /usr/bin/fping
>
> ++ FPingInternal
>
> ++ FPingExternal
>
> sourceip=a.b.c.d

Hm. I guess we should at least wait for the option to get in the Debian
fping (and preferably others...) See below for a workaround.

> On a more general basis, a possibility to add arbitrary command line
> options to a probe binary from the config file would solve _this_
> issue and possibly other issues as well.

Sure. A clean general solution would unfortunately mean quite a lot of
work because of the current probe hierarchy - every probe implements
the exec() itself ATM, so there's no convenient place for general
arguments.

So, it's not going to happen too soon...

A workaround for most (if not all) probes is to add any extra
options to the probe binary definition, like this:

---
*** Probes ***

+ FPing

binary = /usr/bin/fping