[smokeping-users] Re: extremely slow smokeping execution speed

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Fri Aug 5 22:26:10 MEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 02:56:00PM -0500, William Preston wrote:

> I'm having a problem with the smokeping binary, and the .cgi script, being
> extremely slow on a moderately fast system (Athlon1200, 512RAM.)  Top is
> showing almost no CPU or disk utilization while it's running.  Softwares:

> Total Elapsed Time = 1893.947 Seconds

> Exclusive Times
> %Time ExclSec CumulS #Calls sec/call Csec/c  Name
>   89.9   1703. 1703.8      3   567.96 567.96 Smokeping::probes::EchoPing::test_usage
>   9.98   188.9 756.99      1   188.99 756.99 Smokeping::probes::EchoPingHttps::test_usage

> (Sorry about the text wrapping.)  It looks like Smokeping is spending all
> of its time lost in smokeping never-neverland.  Can anyone give me any
> ideas why it might be doing this?  Note that most of it is in
> 'EchoPing:test-usage', whatever that might be.

Hi,

this indeed looks like the problem is in the test_usage() methods.
All they do is test whether the given echoping binary supports any
relevant command-line options. The testing is done by 'pinging' 127.0.0.1
and trying to parse the output for any error messages.

Apparently this hangs up on your system yor some reason. Does eg.
'echoping -C -h / 127.0.0.1' work from the regular command line?
Perhaps you have really tight firewall rules that block even requests
coming from localhost?

HTH,
--
Niko