[smokeping-users] Re: extremely slow smokeping execution speed

William Preston bspesq at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 22:51:27 MEST 2005

Niko Tyni wrote:

>Hi,
>
>this indeed looks like the problem is in the test_usage() methods.
>All they do is test whether the given echoping binary supports any
>relevant command-line options. The testing is done by 'pinging' 127.0.0.1
>and trying to parse the output for any error messages.
>
>Apparently this hangs up on your system yor some reason. Does eg.
>'echoping -C -h / 127.0.0.1' work from the regular command line?
>Perhaps you have really tight firewall rules that block even requests
>coming from localhost?
>
>HTH,

That's precisely what's going on; thanks, Niko.  I'm using the
Projectfiles.com rc.firewall package, and though it appears to not be so
restrictive about the loopback interface, apparently something isn't
working properly in the script.

I guess it would be nice if echoping would spit out _some_ kind of
output when probes were failing.