[smokeping-users] Re: SmokePing 2.0rc5, RRDtool 1.2.11 and UTF-8

Leos Bitto smokeping at leos.cz
Sun Aug 14 23:29:06 MEST 2005

Tobias,

thanks for your hint. Apache really did not propagate the environment
variable LANG. First, Red Hat resets LANG to C in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd, and second, they do not pass LANG to any CGI
script by default (I wrote a simple CGI script to prove this). As soon
as I added "SetEnv LANG en_US.UTF-8" to Apache's configuration (to the
appropriate .htaccess file, surrounded by <Files "smokeping.cgi"> and
</Files>), everything started to work fine.

I know that although UTF-8 is not anything new, there are still many
places which are not quite ready for it. WWW archive of this conference
is one of them, for example. I thought that RRDtool might be another
one, now I am sorry for not trusting you enough. ;-)

I still prefer using UTF-8, which seems to be a final solution, over
some one-time hacks. Erich - the HTML entities are a nice try, but they
do not work for me. There are entities for the ISO-8859-1 AFAIK, but I
need at least ISO-8859-2, preferably even full UTF-8. Hacking RRDtool to
understand them is a work which can be easily avoided by using the
appropriate value for the environment variable LANG, combined with the
appropriate charset=... in smokeping's configuration file.

Leos