[smokeping-users] RRDtool database settings

Leoš Bitto smokeping at leos.cz
Tue Aug 16 13:20:13 MEST 2005

Hello everybody,

I have succesfully set up SmokePing 2.0rc5 with RRDtool 1.2.11, and
sudddenly I found that the resolution of my gathered data (I run FPing
every 60 seconds) is lower when viewing older data. I think that I found
what is causing this: it's the parameter "AVERAGE  0.5   1  1008" in the
configuration file. If I understand it correctly, it means that the data
with my desired resolution (1 minute) are kept only for the 1008 last
occurences (meaning less than 17 hours). Older data are available only
with resolution 12 minutes (covered by "AVERAGE  0.5  12  4320"), and I
guess that even older data (older that 12*4320 minutes) would be
available with resolution 144 minutes (covered by "AVERAGE  0.5 144
720"). Here are my questions:

1) Are there any limitations when choosing those RRDtool database
parameters? Currently I am aware of the disk space requirements only.

2) How can those RRDtool database parameters be configured differently
for different hosts (when using the FPing probe)?

3) What needs to be done to keep the data which I have already gathered
when I decide to change those RRDtool database parameters?

Thanks is advance for any responses.

Leos