[smokeping-users] Re: RRDtool database settings

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue Aug 16 15:02:51 MEST 2005

Hi Leo,

Today Leo? Bitto wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have succesfully set up SmokePing 2.0rc5 with RRDtool 1.2.11, and
> sudddenly I found that the resolution of my gathered data (I run FPing
> every 60 seconds) is lower when viewing older data. I think that I found
> what is causing this: it's the parameter "AVERAGE  0.5   1  1008" in the
> configuration file. If I understand it correctly, it means that the data
> with my desired resolution (1 minute) are kept only for the 1008 last
> occurences (meaning less than 17 hours). Older data are available only
> with resolution 12 minutes (covered by "AVERAGE  0.5  12  4320"), and I
> guess that even older data (older that 12*4320 minutes) would be
> available with resolution 144 minutes (covered by "AVERAGE  0.5 144
> 720"). Here are my questions:

... la suiss 12 points

> 1) Are there any limitations when choosing those RRDtool database
> parameters? Currently I am aware of the disk space requirements only.

there is the long int limit an RRA can not have more than 2^32 rows (or columns)

> 2) How can those RRDtool database parameters be configured differently
> for different hosts (when using the FPing probe)?

currently this setting is global, you would have to run separate
smokeping instances ...

> 3) What needs to be done to keep the data which I have already gathered
> when I decide to change those RRDtool database parameters?

you can use rrdtool resize to change existing rrd files

tobi

> Thanks is advance for any responses.
>

> Leos
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286