[smokeping-users] Re: curl for a dyndns host doesn't work

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Fri Aug 19 20:03:03 MEST 2005

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 09:36:32AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> I would like to smokeping (fping and curl) a host that is behind a DSL
> line with dynamic IP and is running dyndns. The smokeping update
> cronjob is running, and I regularly see the POST requests from the
> host in my apache access log.
>
> The config is as follows:
>
> ++++ $HOST-dyndns-org-fping
>
> host = $HOST.dyndns.org
> menu = $HOST.dyndns.org fping
> title = $HOST.dyndns.org fping
>
> ++++ $HOST-dyndns-org-curl
>
> probe = Curl
> menu = $HOST.dyndns.org curl
> title = $HOST.dyndns.org curl
> host = DYNAMIC/xxx/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> email = First Last <example at example.org>
> alerts =
>
> +++++ PROBE_CONF
>
> forks = 10
> url = http://$HOST.dyndns.org/virtualhost
>
> fping works fine, but curl not. The graphs are completely empty, and
> nothing is logged in syslog.

Hi,

this should work, although there's no point in using the DYNAMIC stuff
at all here. The 'host=...' setting gets overridden by the 'url=...' in
PROBE_CONF, as explained in the Curl probe documentation since 1.41.
Note that 'host=...' is still required, its contents are just ignored
when sending the probes.

This behaviour is fixed in the 2.x series. In 1.x it isn't possible
to use the DYNAMIC feature with the Curl probe (but using dyndns is
pretty close to that.)

Have you tried running 'smokeping --debug'? Or perhaps even
'--debug-daemon'?  Do you see any outgoing HTTP requests?

Cheers,
--
Niko