[smokeping-users] Re: Cannot get DYNAMIC target?

Leos Bitto smokeping at leos.cz
Tue Aug 23 13:16:32 MEST 2005

Marc Haber wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 01:04:55PM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
>
>>On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 10:50:40AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
>>
>>>Where does smokeping store the IP address of the dyndns host which is
>>>probably contained in the POST request coming in from the remote cron
>>>job? I suspect that the web server is not allowed to write to that
>>>place on my system.
>>
>>It's in the file <datadir>/<host>.adr, ie. the same place as the RRD
>>files. The lifetime of the address is calculated from the last
>>modification time of the file.
>

> This supports my suspect, thanks.
>
> On my system, the directories are smokeping:www-data 755, and the rrd
> files are smokeping:www-data 644. However, this doesn't explain why
> the web server is able to write the rrd file. How does the web server
> gain access to the rrd files? Does it escalate privileges to smokeping
> by some funky way?

The rrd files are written by the smokeping daemon only (which runs under
user smokeping in your installation, I suppose). The cgi script only
reads them, and creates the appropriate images in the directory
specified as imgcache in the configuration file.

> I have made the directory with the rrd files writeable for www-data
> (smokeping:www-data 755), but still no *.adr file shows up in the
> directory. What might be going wrong here?

Many things. First, 755 is not writeable by group - but that's probably
just a typo. Second, your cgi script might not run with privileges
including group www-data - that might happen for example because you
Apache lacks access to this group, or because your Apache uses suexec.

Leos