[smokeping-users] Re: Cannot get DYNAMIC target?

Marc Haber mh+smokeping-users at zugschlus.de
Tue Aug 23 13:22:00 MEST 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 01:16:32PM +0200, Leos Bitto wrote:
> Marc Haber wrote:
> >On my system, the directories are smokeping:www-data 755, and the rrd
> >files are smokeping:www-data 644. However, this doesn't explain why
> >the web server is able to write the rrd file. How does the web server
> >gain access to the rrd files? Does it escalate privileges to smokeping
> >by some funky way?
>
> The rrd files are written by the smokeping daemon only (which runs under
> user smokeping in your installation, I suppose). The cgi script only
> reads them, and creates the appropriate images in the directory
> specified as imgcache in the configuration file.

You're right of course. I mixed up the png and rrd directories, how
embarassing. However, there is no *.adr file in the imgcache directory
(which is /var/www/smokeping on Debian).

> >I have made the directory with the rrd files writeable for www-data
> >(smokeping:www-data 755), but still no *.adr file shows up in the
> >directory. What might be going wrong here?
> >

> Many things. First, 755 is not writeable by group - but that's probably
> just a typo.

Yes, it's a typo.

> Second, your cgi script might not run with privileges
> including group www-data - that might happen for example because you
> Apache lacks access to this group, or because your Apache uses suexec.

I cannot verify this since the directory the web server writes to,
/var/www/smokeping, is of course www-data:www-data 755, and the
presence of *.png files shows that the web server can write there.
However, no .adr file here.

Greetings
Marc

P.S.: Isn't maxhight a typo instead of maxheight?