[smokeping-users] Re: Cannot get DYNAMIC target? (was: curl for a dyndns host doesn't work)

Marc Haber mh+smokeping-users at zugschlus.de
Tue Aug 23 21:27:01 MEST 2005

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 10:14:04PM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 03:56:35PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > With that patch applied, all I get is "Error: Invalid Target" in the
> > error.log. Why does the POST request receive a 200 result in that
> > situation?
>
> Umph, probably because it never occurred to anybody that the status response
> might have some significance. The client script that sends the requests
> is very dumb.

But the individual who might be reading the server logs is hopefully
not dumb.

> The 'Error: Invalid Target' probably means that the secret is wrong.
> Note that the string in the config file (DYNAMIC/<string>) is a
> base64-encoded version of the MD5sum of the actual secret that the
> client script sends. You can reset the secret by replacing the
> config file with 'host=DYNAMIC' and running 'smokeping --email'.

Hm. The actual string doesn't look like base64 here:

host = DYNAMIC/Xxx/x1xxXXXxXXxX1X1XXX

(x is a lower case letter, X is a capital, 1 a digit). Please note the
second slash which seems out of place here, right?

Unfortunately, I cannot change the secret on the remote side until end
of the week, when I will do so. I'll get back here.

> > Additionally, I don't like the idea of the web server writing into the
> > directory where the rrd files are located. Wouldn't it be more logical
> > to have the .adr file in the directory of the png files? Or shouldn't
> > the adr file directory be configurable?
>
> Well, the .png directory ('imgcache') is a kind of a cache with no
> important information, while the .adr files are actual data and thus in
> 'datadir'.

The .adr files are as easily replaced as the .png files though.

Greetings
Marc