[smokeping-users] Re: Cannot get DYNAMIC target? (was: curl for a dyndns host doesn't work)

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Tue Aug 23 21:14:04 MEST 2005

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 03:56:35PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:

> With that patch applied, all I get is "Error: Invalid Target" in the
> error.log. Why does the POST request receive a 200 result in that
> situation?

Umph, probably because it never occurred to anybody that the status response
might have some significance. The client script that sends the requests
is very dumb. But yes, it should probably be fixed.

The 'Error: Invalid Target' probably means that the secret is wrong.
Note that the string in the config file (DYNAMIC/<string>) is a
base64-encoded version of the MD5sum of the actual secret that the
client script sends. You can reset the secret by replacing the
config file with 'host=DYNAMIC' and running 'smokeping --email'.

> Additionally, I don't like the idea of the web server writing into the
> directory where the rrd files are located. Wouldn't it be more logical
> to have the .adr file in the directory of the png files? Or shouldn't
> the adr file directory be configurable?

Well, the .png directory ('imgcache') is a kind of a cache with no
important information, while the .adr files are actual data and thus in
'datadir'. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to make it configurable, though.
Added to the 2.0 TODO list.
--
Niko