[smokeping-users] Re: patch candidate for FPing.pm probe

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Mon Feb 7 12:51:00 MET 2005

Today Niko Tyni wrote:

> (I'm pretty sure I sent a followup on this yesterday, but it seems
> it got lost. Apologies for possible duplicates anyway.)
>
> In article <F1C891E8-4B93-11D9-ADC4-003065FB84C2 at xmlhq.com>, cwitte wrote:
>
> > I modified FPing.pm to calculate the delay between ping packets based
> > on the configured period length, so that the pings would be sent over
> > the duration of the period.
>
> This is oldish, but I think it's a good idea. It should just be made
> configurable, with an option like "spread". I'll look into it.

I also wonder what the implications are as to what we measure ...
at the moment fping sends the icmp packets back-to-back
intentionally, to get a educated snapshot of what the link looked
at measurement time ... spreading the packets over the measurement
periode looses that advantag and goes into the direction of 'I want
to measure more often' this is already configurable by lowering the
step size so I am not sure this is a good idea ...

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286