[smokeping-users] Re: logging multiple connections

Arnold Nipper arnold at nipper.de
Thu Jan 13 18:58:03 MET 2005

Peter,

On 13.01.2005 18:14 Peter Mees wrote

> smokeping-users,
>
>   I want to smokeping my servers through 2 different isp's.
>   My smokeping machine has access to 2 different internetconnections.
>   How can i setup smokeping that it uses the 2 connections to monitor
>   my servers ?
>   I want to see server1 pinged through isp1
>   and server1 pinged through isp2

that is nothing you can achieve via smokeping directly. If server1 does
not have two IP addresses ist even seems to be impossible. Lets assume
server has IP addresses IP1 and IP2. Than you would have to make entries
for IP1 and IP2 i.e.

menu = server1 via ISP1
title = Server1 (IP1)
host = i.p.1.1

menu = server1 via ISP2
title = Server1 (IP2)
host = i.p.2.1

Furthermore you have to make sure that i.p.1.1 is routed towards ISP1
and i.p.2.1 is routed towards ISP2.

Now you see why it is really ugly if server1 only has one IP. Then you
would have to do something like

  route server1 via ISP1
  run smokeping section "server1 via ISP1"

  route server1 via ISP2
  run smokeping section "server1 via ISP2"

HTH, Arnold