[smokeping-users] Re: logging multiple connections

hkclark at yahoo.com hkclark at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 19:27:13 MET 2005

Hi Peter,

Where is your Smokeping server? Is it "inside" your
network pinging "out" over those two ISP connections?
Or, is it on the "outside" (the Internet) pinging back
at your server?  There are pros & cons to each
approach -- it all depends what you are trying to
show.

There should be unique IP addresses on each of the
ISP-connected routers.  The IPs could either be: 1)
unique to each ISP if you are using their addresses,
or 2) two different parts of your address block if
your organization has its own registered block.  Maybe
talk to the "router guys" in your shop for a unique
address on each link (you can also use traceroute to
explore these addresses).  If your servers are inside,
then you want the IP addresses at the ISP end of each
link.  If your servers are outside, then you want to
IPs on your end of the links.

Two other thoughts:

1) There can be multiple things you might want to ping
your end: routers, firewalls, the actual servers, etc.
The specifics depend on how everything is configered
and what you are trying to measure.

2) You might want to measure several hops on each side
of the connection.  In other words, don't just measure
the IP on the outside of your router/firewall, but
also measure the first hop (or two, or three) into the
ISP itself.  That way, if problems (packet loss, etc)
show up, it will give you a better feel for where they
are occuring.  Traceroute/tracert can also be useful
here.

Let me know if you need extra help.  If you want, you
could send a high-level picture (I would probably
leave out detailed stuff like IPs) of what you are
trying to do & I could make more specific
recommendations.

Take care,
Kennedy

mailto:smokeping-users-request at list.ee.ethz.ch?subject=help