[smokeping-users] Re: RRDTool Filling In Unknown Values For Missing Pings

Chris Wilson chris at aidworld.org
Wed Jan 19 13:04:50 MET 2005

Hi all,

> By the way, this rather weird purple curve was caused by the ping times
> to this site in Nigeria being longer than the default timeout of fping,
> resulting in fping giving up when only half of the pings had returned.
>
> I couldn't find a way to adjust fping's timeout in the Smokeping
> options, so I had to hack FPing.pm to add the parameter '-t20000' to the
> FPing command line. Please could we have an option for this in Smokeping
> and/or a sensible (longer) default timeout?

Unfortunately this didn't work as well as I hoped. I now have gaps in my
graphs, presumably because fping doesn't finish in time for all readings
to be gathered within one minute. I'm not sure that I can change "step"
and "pings" without corrupting my existing data. Can anyone help to
resolve this problem?

Also, can anyone advise me about the cause of the "fake smoke" in the
data that I posted previously?

Cheers, Chris.
--
(aidworld) chris wilson | chief engineer (chris at aidworld.org)