[smokeping-users] Re: RRDTool Filling In Unknown Values For Missing Pings

cwitte cwitte at xmlhq.com
Wed Jan 19 15:28:19 MET 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 6:04 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:

>> I couldn't find a way to adjust fping's timeout in the Smokeping
>> options, so I had to hack FPing.pm to add the parameter '-t20000' to
>> the
>> FPing command line. Please could we have an option for this in
>> Smokeping
>> and/or a sensible (longer) default timeout?
>
> Unfortunately this didn't work as well as I hoped. I now have gaps in
> my
> graphs, presumably because fping doesn't finish in time for all
> readings
> to be gathered within one minute. I'm not sure that I can change "step"
> and "pings" without corrupting my existing data. Can anyone help to
> resolve this problem?

I posted a proposed change to FPing.pm back on Dec 11 2004.  It may
help for your situation,
although that is not what it was originally intended for.  (Not sure
what Tobi thought of my change,
I haven't seen a reply to that post).

My change spreads out the pings so that they are spaced out evenly
through the probe period,
but that may have a side effect of
waiting for the slow response accordingly.  You may need to add your
'-t20000' to help
catch the last packet, but it is VERY desirable to have the probe end
before the next one starts,
so you may also need to shorten the (calculated) value for '-p'
(poll_interval).  I have re-attached my change
to this msg.

Good Luck,
Chris Witte.

-- Type: application/octet-stream