[smokeping-users] Re: Trouble with host = DYNAMIC

Dan McGinn-Combs Dan.McGinn-Combs at Geac.com
Tue Jun 28 22:05:28 MEST 2005

Thanks!
I had problems with this feature as well a long, long time ago. But I
couldn't remember what I did to fix it. One of the issues I had was
being able to run the generated PERL script on the dynamic host. The
rest of it got lost in the murk. Thanks for the nudge in the right
direction. Now if I could only remember what I wanted to monitor!
- Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: smokeping-users-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch
[mailto:smokeping-users-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Niall
O'Reilly
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2005 6:15 PM
To: smokeping-users at list.ee.ethz.ch
Cc: Niall O'Reilly
Subject: [smokeping-users] Re: Trouble with host = DYNAMIC

On 16 Jun 2005, at 12:00, Niall O'Reilly wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting a probe to work for a DYNAMIC host, and
> would appreciate
> any tips.

The underlying cause turned out to be a file-access issue.  I run the
SmokePing
daemon under its own user account, called 'smoke'.  This user also owns
all the
data files for SmokePing.  The web server runs under a different user
account,
'apache'.  The address registration file is maintained by the
smokeping.cgi
script, triggered by the web server.

A first fix was to add the 'apache' user to the 'smoke' group, and to
make the
directories in the data and htdocs group-writeable.

More work is needed to line up suexec and Perl's -T mode to do things
'properly'.