[smokeping-users] Re: How to stop alert from triggering on each cycle?

Marc Haber mh+smokeping-users at zugschlus.de
Sun May 8 17:32:32 MEST 2005

Hi,

Ok, I must be missing something.

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 05:24:22PM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Today Marc Haber wrote:
> > On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 05:05:28PM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > > you have to 'anchor' your pattern ... eg
> > >
> > > pattern = ==0%,>0%,*12*,>0%,*12*,>0%
> >
> > If I see correctly, it will then send out one mail per cycle unless
> > the "unreachable" has filled up all values, right?
>
> no ... with your pattern it will send out alerts all the time since
> the pattern matches always ... the trick with the patterns is that
> you make them so that they only match when the condition starts to
> occure ... so in your case the interesting ting is if you have
>
> loss ... no-loss ... loss ... no-loss ... loss
>
> in your test you are only testing
>
> loss ... loss ... loss

Let's have a pattern ==0,>5%,*3*,>5%

Everything is fine:

  0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0
  0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0
  0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0
  0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0

Now, suddenly, we have loss:

  0    0    0    0    0    0    0  100
  0    0    0    0    0    0  100    0
  0    0    0    0    0  100    0    0

Still, no Mail is being sent out. Now, the line goes down for longer
time.

  0    0    0    0  100    0    0  100

The pattern matches, a mail message is sent out.

  0    0    0  100    0    0  100  100
  0    0  100    0    0  100  100  100
  0  100    0    0  100  100  100    0
100    0    0  100  100  100    0    0

The pattern matches the first two lines, so more messages go out -
repeating an information that we already have ("we're down"). The
third line doesn't match any more since the pattern requires a
non-zero value in the last column.

Am I missing something?

Greetings
Marc