[smokeping-users] Re: How to stop alert from triggering on each cycle?

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sun May 8 21:57:28 MEST 2005

Hi Marc,

Today Marc Haber wrote:

> On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 06:08:01PM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > yep now you got it ... so the trick is to create a pattern that
> > makes sense for you ... you may want to anchore it with a more
> > substantial stretch of 0% to start with ... then you will only get
> > a match when trouble starts ...
>
> Ok. How would a pattern look like which only sends mail when there are
> exactly three >5% points are in the history? *x* matches everything,
> how do I match an arbitrary long stretch of zeroes?
>
> Additionally the manpage text ">10%,*10*,>10% will fire if more than
> 10% of the packets have been losst twice over the last 10 samples." is
> wrong. It will fire if more than 10% of the packets have been lost
> _at_ _least_ twice over the last 10 samples.

sorry yes ... exactly as wrong as if I say, you loose your driving
license if you are caught driving faster than 100 MPH twice, since
this would imply that you would NOT lookse the license if you were
caught three times ... right ? :-) in any event, I changed the
docus in the 2.0 svn archive to not further confuse readers ...

Note that for more complex alerting requirements there is a special
matcher module interface in smokeping where you can write alerting
plugins that trigger on whatever conditions you imagine/express in
perl ...

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/smokeping/matchers/index.en.html

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich