[smokeping-users] Smokeping 2 and RemoteFPing probe

Sam Stickland sam_ml at spacething.org
Tue May 17 15:23:59 MEST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to get Smokeping2 up and running, with multiple rhosts for the
RemoteFPing probe, but I'm getting "unknown variable 'rhost'". I've
attached the relevant bit of the config below. It looks to me like
Smokeping2 can't support multiple rhosts per RemoteFPing target?

I was originally working on changing Smokeping 1.x to support this by
changing the probe to read the ruser, rhost and rbinary variables from
$target->{vars} rather than $self->properties.

Will I have to make a similar change to Smokeping2? I thought that one of
the changes was that there wasn't a difference between probe default
settings and the oldstyle PROBE_CONF section?

Maybe I've misunderstood.

On another note, I had to change

         die("$file: unknown RRD version: $info->{rrd_version}")
                 unless $info->{rrd_version} eq '0001';

         die("$file: unknown RRD version: $info->{rrd_version}")
                 unless $info->{rrd_version} eq '0003';

in lib/Smokeping/RRDtools.pm to get it to work with RRDTool 1.2.x. Is that
expected? It doesn't seem to be documented.

Thanks,

Sam

Here's the configuration mentioned above:

*** Probes ***

+ RemoteFPing

binary = /usr/bin/ssh
rbinary = /usr/local/sbin/fping # mandatory
rhost = localhost # mandatory

*** Targets ***

probe = RemoteFPing

menu = Top
title = Network Latency Grapher
remark = Welcome to the SmokePing website of xxx Company. \
          Here you will learn all about the latency of our network.

+ Top
menu = Top
title = top

++ x_y_z_w_to_a_b_c_d