[smokeping-users] fping timeout and backoff

Scott Moseman scmoseman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 21:22:08 MET 2005

I was going to check to see if the timeout for the pings was
adjustable.  When checking the documetation I see there's a timeout
that I can adjust, that's good, but there's a backoff factor.  The
defaults are 500ms and 1.5 respectively.  I assume this means, should
there not be any ping response, it waits 500ms for the 1st ping, 750
ms for the 2nd ping, etc.  Is that right?  Assuming that's the way it
works, is there any way to change this behavior in Smokeping?  Maybe
it's a required component for Smokeping to function and it should
stay?

The overall point is that the devices we're monitoring do not have
much use when the latency goes beyond 1000 ms.  There's a chance that
we might prefer to just drop responses over 1000 or 1500 ms and report
it as packetloss instead.  I'm curious if this is possible.

Thanks,
Scott