[smokeping-users] Re: fping timeout and backoff

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Fri Nov 11 13:17:33 MET 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 02:22:08PM -0600, Scott Moseman wrote:
> I was going to check to see if the timeout for the pings was
> adjustable.  When checking the documetation I see there's a timeout
> that I can adjust, that's good, but there's a backoff factor.  The
> defaults are 500ms and 1.5 respectively.  I assume this means, should
> there not be any ping response, it waits 500ms for the 1st ping, 750
> ms for the 2nd ping, etc.  Is that right?  Assuming that's the way it
> works, is there any way to change this behavior in Smokeping?  Maybe
> it's a required component for Smokeping to function and it should
> stay?

Hi,

it looks like the fping backoff factor ('-B') is only effective in the
fping 'default mode'. Smokeping uses the 'automated statistics mode',
parameter '-C'. OTOH, there's '-p', which seems to do what you want.
You can tune this by specifying 'hostinterval' in the config file.

The 'timeout' variable, '-t', seems to be a bug in Smokeping. Just like
'-B', it's only effective in the 'default mode', and so it doesn't
really affect anything here. I guess I'll remove it (probably with a
warning) for the next release.
--
Niko