[smokeping-users] Re: who can explain the different color gray smoke on the smokeping graph?

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Fri Oct 14 13:44:34 MEST 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 03:09:04PM +0800, ChunjingHan wrote:

> From the @task,I find the smoke on the graph is made by reverse order.then the cp5 smoke will been covered with the cp4 smoke.
> I dont't think what you mentioned "The darker the smoke at a certain latency value, the more samples are further from the median than that value" in your letter is right.I think the depth of dark color  only shows the defferent ping samples,the mid pings are darker than the start and end pings.
> If I am right ,why cp2 is pictured fanally? which character does the depth of dark color on the graph  show about network? ?

The latency times are ordered from the smallest (ping1) to the largest
(ping20) value. Thus the ping19 area covers a part of the ping20 area,
but the remainder will stay at the lightest color. Since the colors
get darker all the way down to the ping11, I think my statement is
still correct.

After ping11, we cross the median and the colors start to get darker
again. The fact that the graphing ends with cp2 and not cp1 looks like
a bug to me. I'll try to fix that - thanks for bringing it to my
attention.

If there is a lot of dark colour on your graph, it means that many
pings were far from the median but close together (since the graph is
scaled according to the maximum ping). I guess that could mean regular
network disturbances that go on for several seconds but not the whole
duration (20s for the default FPing settings) of each probe.

I'm CCing smokeping-users again; let's keep this on-list rather than
private to see if other people might have better explanations :)

Cheers,
--
Niko