[smokeping-users] Re: unresponsive system

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Tue Oct 18 12:50:36 MEST 2005

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 05:17:31PM -0400, Robert Reilly wrote:

> I have smokeping logging that there are unresponsive systems in the
> configuration, I see spots on all graphs for all clients at the same
> time that there is no data, but I have checked each system and none have
> any packet loss according to smoke ping. Yet during these times of no
> data smoke ping is logging that a polling cycle took more the x seconds.
> Is there a way to dump out which hosts are failing ? again the nodata
> shows up for all hosts and no hosts show packet loss.

Hi,

you could try the '--debug-daemon' option, it produces lots of debug
information in the log.

Generally it would be best to tune the polling parameters so that
unresponsive devices don't cause any problems.  Which probe(s) are you
using? If it's the FPing probe, you have to either increase the 'step'
variable or decrease 'timeout' or 'pings'.  If it's one of the others,
you can also increase the 'forks' variable, which controls how many
targets are probed concurrently.

HTH,
--
Niko