[smokeping-users] no icmp reply's using firewall :(

Ploppy Ploppy at xde.nl
Mon Sep 26 17:52:31 MEST 2005

I installed Smokeping, which uses Fping. When I bring APF (firewall) up,
with filters active on Ingress traffic and IG_ICMP_TYPES="all" (ingoing
ICMP) I do not get a reply. Without the firewall running it will work
fine. Yet, when I use a different firewall (KISS), I get the same
result.

When I use fping as root from commandline (with firewall up) it works
fine. Smokeping also works within my own network, which I set trusted in
APF but non-trusted adresses are blocked somewhere.

What else could block ICMP replies? Outgoing filters are disabled.

Does anyone recognise this?

Regards

Ploppy