[smokeping-users] Re: no icmp reply's using firewall :(

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Mon Sep 26 21:40:43 MEST 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 05:52:31PM +0200, Ploppy wrote:
> I installed Smokeping, which uses Fping. When I bring APF (firewall) up,
> with filters active on Ingress traffic and IG_ICMP_TYPES="all" (ingoing
> ICMP) I do not get a reply. Without the firewall running it will work
> fine. Yet, when I use a different firewall (KISS), I get the same
> result.
>
> When I use fping as root from commandline (with firewall up) it works
> fine. Smokeping also works within my own network, which I set trusted in
> APF but non-trusted adresses are blocked somewhere.
>
> What else could block ICMP replies? Outgoing filters are disabled.

Hi,

try 'smokeping --debug', it shows the exact fping commandline that smokeping
invokes. Then try running it from the shell, there should be no difference
then to the Smokeping behaviour. Otherwise strange forces are at work...

Maybe the firewall is rate-limiting the ICMP traffic? I don't know how
smart APF is. Or perhaps it marks the packets based on the user
generating them - is smokeping running as root too? If not, try running
fping manually as the same user as smokeping and see if you get the
same behaviour Smokeping exhibits.

HTH,
Niko Tyni		ntyni at iki.fi