[smokeping-users] Re: business hours

Dan McGinn-Combs Dan.McGinn-Combs at Geac.com
Thu Jan 5 19:21:13 MET 2006

Using tSmoke to generate a report that targets specific hours daily
would take a good bit of work with CDEF's, but it is theoretically
possible. I also assume that you are concerned only with M-F (work week)
as well.

Rather than using this (rather oversimplified) method of selecting the
total time in question (here a WEEK's worth):
		my ($WAverage,$Wxsize,$Wysize) = RRDs::graph "fake.png",
                  "--start","-604800",
                  "--end","-600",
                  "--step","4320",
                  "DEF:loss=$target:loss:AVERAGE",
                  "CDEF:avail=loss,UN,0,loss,IF,$pings,GE,0,100,IF",
                  "PRINT:avail:AVERAGE:%.2lf";
                $ERR=RRDs::error;
		die "ERROR while reading $_: $ERR\n" if $ERR;

You would have to use some Fancy Perl(c) to determine which minutes
between --start and --end you wanted to use for your averages. For the
daily segment, you'd have a single data point. For weekly segment, you'd
have five data points (assuming a five day work week). For a month -
you'd have something like 20 data points - however, these would be
partially in one of possibly three months. And then for the quarterly
segment, you'd have 60 data points to fool with. I'm not sure what the
limits are to either RRDtool or the Perl bindings.

When I first started writing tSmoke, I looked at SLAMON (now abandoned,
but begun by Frank Harper) as a potential way of getting the same
results. His code goes into a directory full of RRD Files and extracts
just the kind of data you want, 8 - 18, business days and excluding
holidays. It just all got too complicated for my little gray cells.

Dan