[smokeping-users] Alerts cause Smokeping to stop working

Scott Moseman scmoseman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 18:52:41 MET 2006

Using an older version of Smokeping...

# ../bin/smokeping -v
$Id: Smokeping.pm,v 1.5 2004/10/21 21:10:51 oetiker Exp $

I created this rule...

+6pct3hrs
type = loss
pattern = >6%,*36*,>6%
comment = 6+% loss for 3 hours

For all devices, so I apply at the top...

menu = Top
alerts = 6pct3hrs

Everything is fine and dandy until 3 hours comes around.  At that
point I get my alarms for the various devices that have been down
(good) -- but Smokeping also stops collecting data for all of the
other devices now!  All graphs come to a halt.  The Smokeping daemon
is still running but it's not gathering any data.  I can stop/start
the daemon and this situation will happen again.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is this a bug fixed in a later version of
Smokeping?  I did a scan through the CHANGES for the newer versions
and could not find anything that seemed like it was a bug fix for a
related problem.  Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks,
Scott