[smokeping-users] Re: Alerts cause Smokeping to stop working

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Fri Jan 13 20:07:08 MET 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:52:41AM -0600, Scott Moseman wrote:
> Using an older version of Smokeping...
>
> # ../bin/smokeping -v
> $Id: Smokeping.pm,v 1.5 2004/10/21 21:10:51 oetiker Exp $

> Everything is fine and dandy until 3 hours comes around.  At that
> point I get my alarms for the various devices that have been down
> (good) -- but Smokeping also stops collecting data for all of the
> other devices now!  All graphs come to a halt.  The Smokeping daemon
> is still running but it's not gathering any data.  I can stop/start
> the daemon and this situation will happen again.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?  Is this a bug fixed in a later version of
> Smokeping?  I did a scan through the CHANGES for the newer versions
> and could not find anything that seemed like it was a bug fix for a
> related problem.  Maybe I'm missing something?

Hi,

the 1.x series is quite deprecated by now; please try the latest 2.x
version (currently 2.0.5). I don't remember seeing this particular
bug, but there have been several changes to the alert code and
last I checked, the alerts were working for me.

If the problem persists, please include the output of 'smokeping -debug'
along with your configuration file.

If you want to stay with the old version, you'll have to debug this
yourself. A good start is still 'smokeping -debug' and possibly running
strace (or truss or trace or whatever your OS calls it) on the stalled
daemon to see if it's eg. waiting for some child process to finish.

Cheers,
--
Niko