[smokeping-users] Re: SmokePing Capacity For Large Scale Deployment...

Ross West westr at connection.ca
Tue Jan 17 23:16:53 MET 2006

TO> the problem will be the latency for gathering the ping response ...
TO> I don't think a decent linux box will have issues with pinging 5000
TO> devices ...

A big thing to note that will probably crop up first:

We setup smokeping on a freebsd box and started hitting icmp
limitations all over the place (the box, routers, anti-dos tools, ids,
etc) when we ramped up the number of devices.

It was interesting to suddenly see 500+ icmp packets a second setting
off alarms all over the place.

TO> the key to gettig this up and runing will be to look at the
TO> performance of your box and see where you are hitting the wall
TO> ... and then look at that particular area ...

And yes, having a strong enough box to handle all the packets without
delays is something to keep aware of.  CPU isn't much of an issue that
we ran across.

Cheers,
  Ross.

(Side note: we don't do a large scale smokeping deployment any more
due to a lot of the above issues, but do much more selective points)

--
  Ross